Legal Aid NSW
Legal Aid NSW is a state-wide organisation providing legal services to socially and economically disadvantaged people across NSW. Legal Aid NSW deliver legal services in most areas of criminal, family and civil law.
In 2013-2014, Legal Aid NSW:
– provided 972,650 client services;
– employed 959 staff, of whom 484 were lawyers;
– provided 128,719 advice and minor assistance services;
– represented clients in 38,000 matters and provided 172,188 duty services;
– provided 2,515 community legal education sessions;
– provided 633,743 information services;
– answered 17,339 calls to the youth hotline, advising 6,905 young people;
– provided regular outreach services in 164 locations across New South Wales;
– conducted 2,665 mediations in family law, achieving full or partial settlement in 81% of them; and
– distributed 731,526 publications.
Legal Aid NSW was established in 1979, when it was known as the Legal Services Commission. Legal Aid NSW offers legal services in partnership with the private legal profession through grants of legal aid. In 2013-2014 private lawyers represented 42.9% of legal aid clients. Legal Aid NSW works closely with partners including LawAccess NSW, Community Legal Centres and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service NSW/ACT.
Legal Aid NSW clients are from the most financially and economically disadvantaged parts of the New South Wales community. Many clients experience disadvantages due to language or literacy barriers, illness, disability or geographic isolation. A high number are on Commonwealth benefits.
For more information, please visit http://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/
Please see the links below for more information on different legal aid offices.
Bankstown Legal Aid Office
Level 8, Civic Tower, 66-72 Rickard Road
Ph: 02 97074555
Blacktown Legal Aid Office
Suite 36-37, 15 Kildare Road
Ph: 02 96214800
Burwood Legal Aid Office
Level 4, 74-76 Burwood Road
Ph: 02 97476155
Campbelltown Legal Aid Office
Suite 1, Level 4 171-179 Queen Street
Ph: 02 46282922
Central Sydney Legal Aid (Head Office)
323 Castlereagh Street
Ph: 02 92195000
Fairfield Legal Aid Office
Suite 1, Level 2, 25 Smart Street
Ph: 02 97273777
Liverpool Legal Aid Office
Level 4, Interdell Centre, 45-47 Scott Street
Ph: 02 96011200
Parramatta Legal Aid Office – Criminal Law
Parramatta Justice Precinct, Level 1, 160 Marsden Street
Ph: 02 86883800